Post Title and Number: LGV Technician
Present Grade: SO1
Dept: Highways and Transportation
Service/Section/Team: Fleet Services
Purpose of the Role:
To undertake the service, repair and maintenance of vehicle, plant and equipment in accordance with legislative and health and safety requirement.
To undertake vehicle testing in line with VOSA regulations.
To ensure that all maintenance work undertake is completed effectively, efficiently and is of a high standard of quality.
1) To maintain service and repair on all types of vehicles, plant and equipment as part of the Council’s programmed servicing schedule. Equipment, tools and machinery, will include (but are not limited to) the following – mowers, gang units, ride-ons, tractors, chain saws, spikers, strimmers, pressure jet cleaning equipment etc.
2) To carry out risk assessments, safe systems for work and regular safety inspections on all vehicles (including specialist vehicles such as refuse/sweepers/PCV vehicles) and plant in accordance with legislative requirements and Council policy.
3) To liaise with external suppliers for the supply of goods and services to ensure best value is maintained.
4) To effectively manage the stores area to ensure stock levels are maintained and appropriate service/repair items are held at all times.
5) To provide roadside assistance to broken down vehicles/plant and arrange recovery if necessary. Diagnose any faults found and specify on the job card any work necessary to be carried out by the Contractor or the in house workshop.
6) To undertake general fleet electrical work, welding, fabrication and minor repairs on vehicles, plant or equipment.
7) Report any damage found on Inspection to the Fleet office for them to check if an accident has been reported. Identify any repairs required which fall within the warranty of a new vehicle or of previous work carried out by Contractors
8) On return from Contractors vehicles are to be inspected and tested (where necessary) to check work has been carried out satisfactorily and to a safe standard.
9) Carry out and record the details of the statutory testing of light goods vehicles and cars submitted by members of the public, issue the appropriate certificates, receive fee applicable, checking cheque card where necessary. Cash up at the end of working day ensuring all monies received are correct.
10) Carry out seatbelt checks on passenger carrying vehicles in line with seatbelt legislation as set down by VOSA, and receive appropriate fee.
11) Carry out initial inspection of new vehicles, hired vehicles and plant added to the Councils fleet list, and fill out new data sheet. To carry out MOT Testing on council vehicles and external vehicles using VOSA’s computerised system in line with VOSA requirements and standards.
12) Advise on condition and carry out a visual check and inspection of all MOT equipment, workshop equipment, lifting gear and special tools before use.
13) To leave the workplace clean, tidy and safe and assist in maintaining the general cleanliness and tidiness of the workshop. Carry out steam cleaning on Council vehicles and plant as and when required.
14) To work in accordance with the shift system, subject to prior notice and consultation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Job Specifics – Skills, Experience and Competencies
Substantial experience of motor vehicle technology on cars, light goods vehicles, municipal vehicles and parks equipment.
Practical experience in general hydraulic, welding and electrical repairs.
Experience of repair and maintenance of cars, light goods vehicles, municipal vehicles and parks equipment.
Diagnostic skills in relation to repair and maintenance of cars, light goods vehicles, municipal vehicles and parks equipment.
Flexible approach to work and ability to adapt to changing working environment (including shift pattern) to meet customer needs
Ability to work under/on vehicles at varying heights, and in confined spaces. The ability to access Inspection pits via ladders
Experience of using computer systems to record work undertaken and to check vehicles previous history.
To work as part of a team
To be a qualified VOSA MOT tester for class 4 and 5
Knowledge of workplace health and safety.
Evidence of continuous professional development
City and Guilds part 1, 2 and 3 in motor vehicle maintenance or equivalent
Other Special Requirements*
LGV class C driving licence
If you match these requirements, please apply as usual. Elevate will send you an email, please open, click and action it and your application will be visible to the hiring organisation directly. Elevate provides a route to contract and contingent assignments across many skills areas by matching your profile to relevant jobs that our customers post to the platform.
Please note that Elevate Direct is a software provider and not a recruitment agency. As such, Elevate is not involved in the recruitment processes for any employer, who uses the platform. Please contact employers directly through your Elevate profile with any queries related to your application.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.