Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S)
Are you fascinated by cutting edge weapon technology and excited by the chance to work first hand with weapons systems on military platforms?
DE&S has an exciting opportunity for two Land Security Engineers within the Weapons Operating Centre at MOD Abbey Wood. The first is within the Long Range Precision Strike (LRPS) Delivery Team, and the other role is associated with development state-of-the-art weapons known as Directed Energy Weapons (DEW).
You will become the technical authority to enable the teams to deliver equipment that is resilient to growing cyber equipment threats now and in the future. The LRPS role is responsible for two complex weapon programmes; the in-service Storm Shadow Weapon System and the Future Cruise / Anti-ship Weapon, and the DEW role is responsible for a portfolio of three Pre-Concept Capability Demonstrators. The roles will cover all areas of Information Security, Cyber and Information Assurance, across the Land domains.
This is a Professional Engineer role managing the delivery of security requirements and associated tasks through all phases of the acquisition lifecycle. If successful in this position, you will be required to develop and manage the Security Case at a project level, to protect assets through-life ensuring that capability remains operational. A key aspect of the work will be to identify and manage the security risks associated with projects in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle. You will be influential in demonstrating your knowledge and experience with security in relation to engineering projects. This role will encompass elements of planning and performance reporting within the Weapons Operating Centre. As a result, you will enhance your skills and subject matter knowledge to help DE&S ensure that the armed forces can operate in the most demanding environments.
If you have these attributes, combined with a talent for communicating, influencing and embracing change, this could be the role for you.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for SOLE UK Nationals.
• Act as a technical authority within the team on cyber and security, supporting team members and customers as required
• Understand the business and operational environment of the equipment to their team, and the cyber security risks that systems of interest are subject technical authority for the system.
• Provide advice on the residual cyber security risk at entry into service, and through life, to customers and users, supporting the development of any resulting Risk Balance Cases as a technical authority
• Security artefacts – Developing security artefacts ; risk management document accreditation sets, file security instructions, developing main security case for a weapon system in line with the process
• Security documents -lead the development of required system security documents and collate them in a system security case, will take the lead with security cases and will be responsible for developing these.
• Assess system changes (technology or process) for potential cyber safety risks and propose effective mitigations
• Balance cyber security risk against the cost of countermeasure, other areas of system performance and operational effectiveness
• Creating trials instructions
• Attendance and coordination of working security groups
• Establish right process and policies in places moving forward, may need to create new policies due to new tolerances in service and re-look at this, ensure fit for purpose and relevant to the weapons area/system they are in.
• Working in Weapons Operations centre and with STL
• Sign off equipment/system Security Cases and Security Case Reports
• Identifying technical threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations.
• Applying standard security techniques and architectures to mitigate security risks.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Experience as a Security Engineer, with either Cyber security or weapons systems background
• Delivery in a cyber-security or information assurance role, ideally producing key artefacts
• Systems engineering of complex systems and equipment, ideally in a military context or related engineering / technical systems environment
• CISSP or Associate CISSP registration (or working towards and/or other relevant industry-recognised registration)
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• BA HONS in Cyber Security or related technical degree (Level 6)
• Air and ships experience (industry or from a Military environment, ideally relating to systems or cyber/tech)
• Experience of working in a MOD acquisition environment.
• NCSC Certified Cyber Professional (CCP) registration as “Practitioner” in one or more roles
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
• Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
• Seeing the big picture
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by reading more about our Employee Benefits .
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.