Riverford Organic Farms Ltd
Facilities Team Member (DIY/Handy Person)
Every week, Riverford delivers organic food to around 80,000 homes and businesses across the UK. This takes loads of brilliant people, from growers to IT experts, and more besides!
We’re a friendly, forward-thinking bunch, and our three core values – Stronger Together, Do Things Well and Independence – run through everything we do. We celebrate diversity, valuing, supporting and developing the whole person as an equal opportunities employer.
In 2018, Riverford became employee owned. Working here makes you a ‘co-owner’, our way of saying ’employee’. It’s not just a name – every co-owner can play a part in shaping Riverford. Success means much more than just profits; we want this to be a place people enjoy coming to work, and a business our co-owners feel proud of.
We’re also proud to be a B Corp – a certification for ethical businesses who work not just for profit, but also to benefit people and the planet.
What you’ll be doing
Our working farm in Peterborough is constantly growing, both in the size of the site and the number of co-owners working here. We have recently extended our barn and communal spaces, and now need someone to help us maintain it, as well as brighten up the place with some special projects!
You’ll be heavily involved in the facilities side of the business, completing painting and decorating tasks around the site, maintaining and looking after buildings, and completing DIY projects and repairs. An interest in Health & Safety would be useful as you will be required to carry out daily/weekly checks and tasks and produce Risk Assessments for small works jobs. You will also be required to carry out ad hoc work such as general cleaning (including canteens, window cleaning and litter picking) when required to help make our happy farm run smoothly. We employ cleaners but with a growing work force we sometimes need extra help at certain times of the day.
The right person will quickly become a valuable asset at our farm and popular with everybody. A great attitude and work ethic are key, as are attention to detail and taking real pride in your work. This is a hands-on, varied role that requires flexibility. Prioritising work is important; you could be called away from one project to another to fulfil the needs of the business. You may also be called upon on to deliver and collect items (in our Riverford van) or carry out work at one of our hubs from time to time to ensure projects and events are completed on time.
Ideally, you’ll be confident with DIY tasks and can turn your hand to most things, such as joinery, repairs, assembling and dismantling and putting together of furniture, taking on small projects and assisting with the practical side of event planning, as well as waste management, including helping out at events. A good standard of painting and decorating skills is required for this position as we have some in-house projects that we would like you to complete.
This is a permanent contract working 32 hours a week (Tues-Friday with an 8am start) with the potential for working additional hours if desired. We may also need you to be flexible about working some weekends or evenings from time to time to complete projects that need to be done outside of usual working hours. You will be based at Sacrewell Farm, Great North Road, Thornhaugh, Peterborough, PE8 6HJ. Due to our rural location, you will need to be able to drive and have your own vehicle.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
· Leading the way in keeping all Riverford office and communal spaces (including canteens and toilets) clean, tidy, and well stocked
· Installing fixtures and fittings when required
· To assist with putting into place social distancing measures when needed (such as markings and screens) and maintaining them
· Helping with annual clearance projects
· Conducting small decorating projects
· Responsible for sourcing DIY materials needed for projects/repairs
· Carrying out repairs and dismantling/putting together of furniture or refits
· Collecting and delivering items (using a Riverford van) when required
· Responsibility for opening and closing of certain buildings at start and end of day
· Prioritise workloads, agreeing work in advance with your line manager
· Your work will be expected to have a high standard of finish and you will be responsible for ensuring that daily and weekly tasks are completed in a timely manner
· Reporting of any faults or Health and Safety issues on site
· Ensuring that all tasks, including waste management, are carried out in accordance with Health and Safety guidelines
· Have a keen eye for what needs fixing before it fails
· Carrying out regular inspections of buildings and detailing what work is required
· Working alongside external contractors on larger projects where necessary
· To undertake any other duties to help the smooth running of the business (e.g. ground works/yard duties/gardening/hosing down)
· Travel to outlying sites/hubs to complete maintenance tasks from time to time
Skills & experience
· Previous experience in a similar role is desirable but not essential
· Experience of using power tools, garden machinery, workshop equipment
· Additional carpentry skills beneficial
· Basic Electrical knowledge desirable
· Knowledge of Health and Safety procedures, including COSHH would be a benefit
· Experience of cleaning/DIY/painting is essential
· Be willing to undertake manual handling, and/or Health and Safety training
· Full driving licence and own transport essential due to rural location
· Forklift truck licence desirable
· Friendly and willing to assist others
· A healthy dose of ‘No job is too big or small’ mentality
· Attention to detail and high standard of work
· Good communicator
· Take pride in everything you do
· The ability to work alone and as part of a team
· Flexibility regarding your working day
· A great work ethic and attitude are key
· Reliable, committed person with good communication skills
· We love problem solvers!
£10.25 per hour.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people – and other benefits too.
· 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays)
· Generous company pension scheme
· Annual profit share: 10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners
· 25% off everything we sell
· Heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, home-cooked by our canteen chefs, at our two biggest sites
· Free organic fruit and veg!….. click apply for full job details
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.