Department for Education
Coventry, Darlington, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield
Your unique perspective makes all the difference
About the Role
You will oversee the design and incremental delivery of the architecture to support a growing range of efficient, user-driven data services. Alongside leading the function within our Data Architecture team you will partner with senior DfE business, strategy and policy leads and partners across the department, to demonstrate the business value of architecture as an enabler of strategy formulation, business change and technology innovation.
Responsibilities may include:
• Evolving the design of our enterprise data platform
• Building Architecture capability within Data Directorate and beyond
• Provide expertise around cloud and enterprise technology, particularly around data & analytics
• Provides technical guidance and leadership for service lines and virtual teams
• Handle the design of data solution architectural patterns for our projects and programmes to support easy use of central data & metadata capabilities.
We are looking for you to demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
• Experience with structured Enterprise Architecture practices
• Experience in network infrastructure, security, and application development.
• Experience in building, architecting, designing and implementing distributed cloud-based data platforms
• Ability to understand emerging technologies/methodologies/solutions in the Cloud/IT technology space.
• Ability to deliver results, work cross-functionally and engage audiences
The Data Architecture Division has primary responsibility for ensuring the best use of data, and for designing at a high level, automated data pipelines and data flows that comprise Data Directorate’s data services as used within the Department, across the education sector and beyond. This includes developing data strategies, principles, policies, standards and practices for use across Digital and Technology, and liaising with Service Owners across the Department to drive up understanding of the impacts of data quality on delivery
At the Department for Education, diversity is one of our cornerstones. Not just in terms of the background, skills and perspectives of the people who work here, but the different professions who call this organisation home. We have a surprising variety of roles, where a vast array of people come together to create an education system that gives today’s children and young people everything they need to thrive. Join us and this environment will be the launchpad for a career few can match for experience and nationwide, real world impact.
Applicants currently holding a permanent post in the Civil Service should note that, if successful, their salary on appointment would be determined by the Department’s transfer / promotion policies.
As a member of the DfE, you will be entitled to join the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme, which many experts agree is one of the most generous in the UK.
You will have 25 days leave, increasing by 1 day every year to a maximum of 30 days after five years’ service. In addition, all staff receive the Queen’s Birthday privilege holiday and 8 days’ bank and public holidays.
We offer flexible working arrangements, such as job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
As an organisation, which exists to support education and lifelong learning, we offer our staff excellent professional development opportunities.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.