Assistant Lawyer – Property & Coverage – Bolton
Keoghs LLP is one of the leading insurance law firms in the UK and can rightly claim to be amongst the most dynamic in its sector. We now have a number of exciting opportunities for talented insurance lawyers to join our Property Risks and Coverage Team. These roles are based at our Bolton North stand offices but feature strong connections with, and team working alongside, our London and Bristol offices. Flexible working is encouraged for the right candidates.
Our large and complex cases require a collaborative approach and you will be part of a team handling some of the largest property damage and insurance coverage claims in the UK – fires, escapes of water, construction and engineering failures. The caseload involves acting for most of the leading UK insurers on issues ranging from policy coverage disputes, major loss subrogation claims, first party fraud, FOS referrals and defended liability claims where insurers and their policyholders are facing claims arising out of fires, escapes of water, escapes of oil and subsidence.Often, one major event will give rise to our early engagement and multiple involvements.The successful candidate will, in the course of their development in this role progress to the handling of their own personal caseload but always with the support of our most senior lawyers.
The team regularly delivers training seminars and workshops to various insurer clients and the ideal candidate will have an interest in client development and show a willingness to assist in the preparation and delivery of seminars on technical legal issues. In the first instance the successful candidate will be working closely with a Lead Lawyer to assist in the running of substantial commercial insurance litigation disputes across the range of legal issues identified above.The role may also involve assisting other Assistant Lawyers in the mini sub specialist team.
The key accountabilities for these roles will be dependent upon the level at which the successful candidate starts in role but typically the key accountabilities will include:
· Reviewing documents and preparing draft advices to client on behalf of Lead Lawyer
· Bespoke draft advices on coverage for Lead lawyer
· Assisting the Lead lawyer with all aspects of the litigation process
· Considering the issues of coverage, liability, quantum and strategy
· Conducting investigations
· Preparing first draft instructions to counsel and experts
· Legal research
· Document searches
· Attendances at client meetings/strategy discussions/conferences for the purpose of note taking and follow up.
· Ensuring compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011
In addition to the above, the candidate will at the discretion of the Lead Lawyer:
· Handle a case load in their own right
· Draft applications and court proceedings
· Draft advices on offers which will require little amendment from the Lead Lawyer.
· Engage in settlement negotiations/roundtable/ADR
The above is not a definitive list of possible work which may be delegated and which they may be required to undertake.
Essential Skills & Attributes
· Legal qualification require ie. Solicitor/FILEX
· Previous Defendant property insurance litigation experience
· A knowledge and understanding of the types of disputes handled by the department and claims handled by the department’s insurer clients
· Knowledge of product liability related issues, breach of contract, negligence, property law, insurance coverage issue
· Experience of dealing with complaints to the FOS referrals
What You Can Expect From Us
· A learning culture with employee development at the heart of the people development pathway
· Excellent flexible benefits including Annual leave entitlement and Healthcare Cash Plan as standard
· Monday to Friday – 35 hours per week
· Health Cash Plan
· Private Medical Insurance
· Critical illness cover
· Death In Service – after 1 year
· Pension Contribution
· Cycle to Work Scheme*
· Tech Scheme*
· Season Ticket Loan*
· Car Parking Scheme*
· Gym Flex*
· Access to Online Discount Sites
· Discounted Gourmet Society Membership
· Discounted Tickets for Merlin Attractions nationwide
· Discounts at local retail outlets
· Flexible Working
· 25 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays
Keoghs is one of the leading providers of claims-related services to insurers, businesses and other suppliers to the insurance sector. We combine proven processes, technology and a low cost infrastructure with deep legal and insurance market knowledge. This enables us to create individual solutions for each of our clients that match their requirements in terms of quality, performance and value for money.
Our culture is focussed on making Keoghs sustainable and successful for our people and clients, with this our five values are at the heart of everything we do;
• We listen, are down to earth and supportive
• We work together towards a common goal
• We’re friendly with a can do attitude
• We care about our clients
Keoghs is a Disability Confident employer and we endeavour to recruit from the widest possible pool of suitable candidates.
If you require any adjustments or special arrangements to be made to our application process on account of a disability please contact Recruitment…… click apply for full job details
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.